Thursday, May 5, 2011

"You Can't Do That"

Today was our last regular meeting of MOPS this year. They asked, “How has your life been impacted this year?” (or something like that) A few ladies shared how God has touched their lives this year. I wanted to get up and share a couple different things but it scares me half to death. If I hadn’t been choked up for half the other chats, maybe I could have.


For me, when she asked something about our kids this year, I was thinking about Ashley and a conversation I had with an old friend this weekend at the Devoted Hearts Women’s Conference.

Travis and I have been contemplating homeschooling for our children. There are so many questions to ask and find answers to. My biggest fear is not being able to do it, not being good enough. Since Ashley has been slow at walking, talking, and her overall growth, it’s a challenge to think that I am going to be able to teach her... anything. I simply doubt my ability. Not only that, I’m also scared of the judgment and doubts of those around me. “Why would you want to home school?” “Oh, you’re a home school family?” Those fears hit me hardest when I found out that less than a handful of our MOPS group is considering homeschooling. I’m doing my best to know, we simply need to do what is best for OUR family. Just because it may not be everyone’s choice, doesn’t mean it can’t be ours. Those who choose to place their children in public school, there is nothing wrong with that. Those who choose to place their children in private school, there is nothing wrong with that. Those who choose to home school, there is nothing wrong with that either. I guess I just don’t want to be one of “those” families. I am learning more and more though (daily it seems) that I can’t focus on what everyone around me thinks, and the world thinks, and build my life on that. I need to live for Jesus and my family, first and foremost. I will never live up to all the expectations of people around me, we fail others.

So, all of this leading to my point. I was talking to my friend about my fears and that Ashley may not “get it”, etc. She reminded me, “There are some people that think that children need to learn to read at two years old and others that think they don’t need to learn to read until they are eight years old. Everyone has different standards/expectations. But are you living your life on the world’s standards or God’s standards?” This really resonated with me because I was trying to place my own expectations on myself according to the world (as usual) and not what’s important to God.

It doesn’t matter if “the world” says “You can’t do that.”

It doesn’t matter if “the world” says “Why would you do that?”

It doesn’t matter if “the world” says “You aren’t _____ enough to do that.”

“I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”Philippians 4:13

No matter what our decision ends up being, God will help me. When I fail, He will pick me up. When I succeed, it will be because of Him and He will celebrate with us.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing! My oldest sister is homeschooling all four of her girls. I remember talking with her numerous times about these same fears. She still struggles with some of them at times and her oldest girl is now 15. Know that I will support you whatever you decide! You are more than capable.