Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Plan- September 2012

My plan is to get healthy. I don’t eat healthy, I don’t workout much (except running has been great), and I want to be healthy for my family. I want to be active with the kids, play sports and games with them, and not be too lazy to go to the park with them sometimes when they want to.

So, September 10 my hubby and I start a 21-day cleanse. I am excited and nervous about it at the same time. I am excited about losing weight, losing some of my sweet tooth, and eating healthy. And I am way excited about my hubby doing it with me, or I likely wouldn’t be doing it at all!! I am not excited about the unknown, losing my sweet tooth, and eating healthy!! =) HAHA

By eating healthy, I mean that I want to get rid of the high fructose corn syrup from my diet. I want to get rid of most, if not all, the additives in my foods that are known to cause hyperactivity, asthma, and cancer. This leaves us with mainly fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and grains. I am not eliminating food groups in the long term- just the items that don’t belong in our foods in the first place.

In the last few years I have seen friends and family members changing their lifestyles, which includes the foods they chose to eat. Being uneducated about food, I thought, I’m eating pretty well. I eat “home-cooked” meals quite a bit, eat out only some (not every day), but I do eat lots of sugar and I know that’s not good. My excuse for not changing is usually, “It doesn’t taste good.”

When I heard about this “whole food cleanse” and how it cleans your system out and in the end, I concluded, can change your palate and reduce your food/sweet cravings, I said “I’m in!!” What do I need to do? So, here is what we are doing. Days 1-10 we are eating ONLY fruits, vegetables, rice or lentils and whole food supplements. Days 11-21 we are adding chicken, fish, and eggs to that list. After day 21 we will gradually add back in the other whole foods and see how they make us feel (hoping for no allergies or food intolerances.

This brings us from Sept 10-Sept 30. Then, in October, once we have “fixed” our eating we plan to join Crossfit progression to get fit and even healthier!! Yikes!!

I want to document this to hold myself accountable and also to encourage others if they have similar goals.

Here goes! With God helping me, I can do this!!  So thankful to also have my hubby by my side in this!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is fantastic Allison! So proud of you. I haven't done a cleanse but have spent the last several months transitioning our family to whole, real foods and ridding our home of unhealthy sweeteners and processed foods. It's a long process but so worth it. I've found so many wonderful options for us and the whole family has enjoyed the vast majority of what I've been making. And, I've started getting up EARLY to exercise 30-45 minutes a day. I feel great, I've lost some weight, and I feel good about finally making lasting changes after procrastinating for years. I would love to get together with you sometime soon to share ideas and resources about how to make this work for our families. Way to go!!